Creativity Forums

JTAC Dan
Private
Private
Topic Author
Flag: United States of America

ESports

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Do esport participants (professional gamers) deserve to be considered athletes? What makes an athlete an athlete? Discuss...

yosh
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Re: ESports

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Endurance gaming does, but only technically. It really does take conditioning and lengthy training to be able to stand at an arcade machine for 2 days straight. Professional gaming ought to exist, and the culture should be big, but it is in itself no way an actual sport. 

Daniel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:55 pm

I have always held the view that sports and games are different. If you are an athlete, you should be "athletic." I do not believe pool, darts, or any of that bullshit are sports. No one is going to look at a bowler and think, "Yeah, that fella is an athlete." But yeah, I think there ought to be a more definitive definition (those two words are redundant, they mean the same thing) so the line is easier to see. Training hard at a particular skill doesn't make you an athlete, either. Architects practice. Doctors. So that couldn't be used as a criteria. Simply being physical in nature I don't think qualifies, either. Again, surgery is very physical. 
Be legendary. | Find me on Facebook

Notch
Private
Private

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, just judging off the criteria of this conversation I'd concur that we need a definition. Otherwise it's all subjective. You're going to get people like us who say it is based on (insert criteria here) something like body type or basically how we perceive them to be. How is the person's athleticism in relation to ourselves? If we don't consider ourself an athlete and they aren't as fit, then we won't consider them either. Unless they happen to play a sport that we find congruent with the concept. Do you see how messy this can get if there's no clear cut definition? For the record I agree with the statements before me where not everyone who plays a game professionally is an athlete. I would argue that bowling and pool and darts are perhaps MORE athletic than video games. Or Texas Holdem. What a ridiculous thing to call a sport. 

yosh
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Yeah poker is not athleticism. Lying is not a sport. If you turn lying into a sport then you are a goddamn sociopath.

Veil
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:31 pm

I agree, poker is no more a sport than Monopoly or dominoes. Let's have the World Series of Yahtzee! We can air it live on ESPN. Who's with me? 

matt.krieger
Private
Private

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:22 pm

This is different than what you posted on FB... But I was thinking about it on my way home, and I think we all have clear ideas of what a sport and an athlete is. And while someone can be athletic, the sport/event that they participate in could prevent them from being considered an athlete (golf, motorsports, shooting, bodybuilding, bowling, diving are some I thought about)

Jakemc
Private
Private

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:23 pm

This is difficult. Marching in drum corps is very athletic, and while we don't compete head to head on the field, it is a competition against other corps on a nightly basis. It takes endurance, physical training, mental toughness and musical ability. To those of involved, it is most definitely a sport.

I also do scottish games. Another sport that people love to watch, and though we are considered athletes, it doesn't seem that the general populace sees it as a legitimate sport.

Having played several sports, as well as being a runner, i can honestly say that Scottish games and corps are the hardest most challenging things ive ever done. Well... Besides parenting...

JTAC Dan
Private
Private
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I decided to look up the definitions of sport and athlete. (Using define: "___" in google.)

Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Athlete - a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

Using these definitions, I'd say some video games, like those on Nintendo Wii, could be considered "sports" because physical exertion is present. The term athlete, when using the definition of sport, would allow the term to be applied to Wii players.

Without the dictionary terms, however, I wouldn't consider video games "sports" or their players "athletes."

I think the term being thrown around, "eSports" would more accurately define what we're talking about. As long as the "e" stands for "electronic" as implied, I could understand calling players "eAthletes."

Would I refer to these players as eAthletes in any sort of real life conversation or setting?

No. It sounds stupid.

I'd consider bowlers, pool (billiard) players, and even table tennis players as athletes because physical exertion and skill are required and understood to be necessary to play. While some games you can exert energy, its not a requirement.

Cobra Kai
Corporal
Corporal
Flag: Ireland

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:01 pm

I think the miscommunication might come from older uses of the word "sport." Back in the day it used to mean "fun activity." For example, hunting was "good sport." And whores were known as "sporting women." Thus, there is overlap between "sports" and "games." Armed with this knowledge, I will now stake that claim that all games are therefore sports, though not all participants are athletes, as to be an athlete requires athleticism. We cool? 
Fear does not exist in this dojo.