Creativity Forums

Jarc
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
Topic Author
Flag: Australia

What’s the single biggest obstacle to success?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:15 am

If you had to pick just one thing that keeps people from success, what would it be?

Miss Tranton
Private
Private

Re: What’s the single biggest obstacle to success?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Fear.

Daniel
Sergeant
Sergeant
Flag: United States of America

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:51 pm

What what! Okay, so that was a great question, and I'm glad you asked it. I went and made a podcast episode for it, you can find it here:
http://totaldanarchy.com/youre-the-problem-total-danarchy-lifestyle-podcast-episode-11/
If you don't want to listen to it, you can still read the transcript there. Let me know your thoughts. 
Be legendary. | Find me on Facebook

Castus
Private
Private

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:08 pm

I'm going to find an example that throws a wrench into all this. I don't care how long it takes. 
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

Jarc
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
Topic Author
Flag: Australia

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:12 am

Daniel wrote:
What what! Okay, so that was a great question, and I'm glad you asked it. I went and made a podcast episode for it, you can find it here:
http://totaldanarchy.com/youre-the-problem-total-danarchy-lifestyle-podcast-episode-11/
If you don't want to listen to it, you can still read the transcript there. Let me know your thoughts. 

Wow, I did not think you'd do an actual episode about it. Very cool. And I think you put it in a way that's easy to understand. I would like to see more examples from real life of people doing what you're talking about. I'm going to have to check out Ink Master and see if I can pick out what you mentioned. And I think that barring any extreme circumstances you're correct. Some obstacles are legitimate to some outcomes. If you are in prison serving a life sentence and your goal is to be an astronaut, you're gonna have a bad time. Did I just come up with the example before you, Castus?

Castus
Private
Private

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:54 am

Close, but technically that example is still him (or her) getting in their own way. If you use what Dan said in the podcast as a measure, the prisoner could easily ask, "How am I contributing to me not getting what I want?" And in this case the answer is pretty clear. I would have to argue that health and illness can be a legitimate reason on some fronts. I do like your example, though.  
Abraham Lincoln

yosh
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:16 pm

EGO!!

Dingo
Private
Private

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:34 am

I would have said fear but I guess that gets covered under the "you" part. I never really thought of this before, and I think a lot of people don't because people don't like to analyze themselves on the negative parts. 

Castus
Private
Private

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:44 pm

So in listening to this, you are able to distill that answer down to a single underlying concept. While I get that desire, and it provides a valuable lesson, one can alter the mindset but that still doesn't help many of the logistical concerns. There are a myriad of specific issues that can hinder someone from attaining some goal or other, and you mentioned a handful of them on the podcast. So in changing the mindset that leads to these excuses, you may recognize that it's an excuse but it doesn't help you fix the logistic issue. For example. 
  • Don't have time.
  • Don't have money. 
  • Don't have knowledge about something (aerodynamics, engineering, photography, whatever)
Okay, so I recognize that not having time is no excuse. But now what? What I'm saying is it's a good start, but you have to go further and cover some of the specific issues. Because I could very well be making an excuse, but that doesn't help me figure out how to find the time. I read a guy's post just last night about how he wants to finish his book but his work schedule has him getting home at like 10 at night and by then he is too exhausted to be able to think properly. So here's a guy who really wants to make it work, but he can't figure out the logistics. 
Abraham Lincoln