I went ahead and bought Jester's Down on Kindle the other day and thought I would give a few thoughts here. For one, having read some of Dan's new stuff, I can see the stylistic evolution. I did like the voice in JDown a lot, it was very sarcastic. There were some formatting and grammatical errors, but I won't get into that. A few of the things I'd like to point out.
- I think the overall plot was good. Everything tied together, there wasn't a lot of fluff that didn't belong (though there was some).
- The theme of the story comes through loud and clear.
- The two storylines that converge is like a collision of two separate worlds. I'm talking about the boys and Brady. There's also the subplot of Tony that kind of lies in between the two.
- The pranks were cool, could have used more of them.
- Lots of characters to keep track of. I get it, it's high school and that's a part of being in high school. Eventually you do figure out which ones are important because of their repetitive inclusion, vs the ones who are extras.
- The ending happened to fast. I get that the pacing leading up to that is quickened to get to the climax, but I think you could spend more time in the parts after the climax.
With that being said I look forward to checking out the next one. Some questions I have for any others who have read it. What did you like best about it? Who was your favorite character? (For me it was Snelty.) I think you should do an annual Jester's Down pranking contest. What is the best prank you've ever pulled?
Fear does not exist in this dojo.