Creativity Forums

Cobra Kai
Corporal
Corporal
Topic Author
Flag: Ireland

Rogue One, etc. [spoilers probably]

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:24 pm

I kind of want to talk about Rogue One. I saw it, liked it. It was good. It was a good side story that still tied in to the rest of the films (clearly an important part of the overall whole). What I didn't like about it was that I really didn't care about any of the characters. I never really got the feeling their mission was compelling, urgent. I mean, logistically we all understood that, but from an emotional standpoint it seemed a bit lacking to me. The only part where I felt any real tension was when they used the Death Star on Jedha and they had to escape that giant wave of shit coming at them. There were some other issues I found, like I just think they tried to cram as much Star Wars shit into the film as possible. A lot of characters, a lot of places, a lot of things happening. You almost have to be a Star Wars fan to fully appreciate it. I didn't hate the CGI at the end as much as others, though. 

Some other stuff: 
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/12/17/the-5-biggest-problems-with-star-wars-rogue-one/#63e3e2c7b09a
Fear does not exist in this dojo.

Daniel
Sergeant
Sergeant
Flag: United States of America

Re: Rogue One, etc. [spoilers probably]

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 pm

I like it, but not as much as Episode 7 or Empire. I think it was a great, but of course there are things that aren't going to appeal to everyone. I happen to agree with some of the stuff in this piece (since we're sharing links I guess)

http://movieweb.com/rogue-one-everything-wrong-star-wars/

Though, to be fair, half of the shit in that article I never even noticed. My favorite thing about R1 was the ending. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it back to back with Episode IV, however, I do think they won't line up quite as good. They mentioned it in that article, but the intensity at the end of R1 doesn't match the intensity beginning in IV. 
Be legendary. | Find me on Facebook

Notch
Private
Private

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:53 pm

I absolutely loved it. It was everything I hoped it would be. I really like darker sci-fi. So it doesn't surprise me that a lot of the people who hated it did so for the very reasons that I loved it: the darker tone, the lack of a happy ending, the relative lack of humor. They did try with that droid, though. They promised us a war film, and that's what we got. I loved every second of it. Regarding Vader specifically, I thought they used just the right amount. He's not a primary antagonist, he's the guy of whom the primary antagonists are all terrified. The final sequence with him was precisely as horrifying and violent as I've always wanted to see him portrayed. And I liked that they waited until the end to really showcase Vader.

yosh
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 pm

I did not care about any of these characters specifically (I can't even remember their names except for Jyn) but I went into it caring about them because I knew what they did and what it led to. I kept them in the context of the full galactic war, which also made the movie really bittersweet, because every two or three minutes I would shake my head and remember Alderaan. I was really hoping the movie would end with a medal ceremony like that one at the end of New Hope but with the Death Star slowly fading into the horizon because it's on Alderaan. That is where I was counting on a Jar Jar cameo.

What I want to know is how the plans went from the insect people and Count Dooku to this Imperial guy and his best buddy the science genius.

Also I am almost 100% that CGI Leia killed Carrie Fisher. She watched it on her flight from London to LA and when that face popped out of her laptop it was like the ghost of her dead inner child saying "you were right all along - they'll keep you young forever."